Post op jaw surgery or Trauma surgery recovery
- NO chew diet for minimum of 4 weeks.
- If your jaw is immobile with wires, maintain on liquid/purée diet.
- Start with liquid/purée diet. When jaw opening improves, the patient can transition to NO CHEW spoon fed (i.e. yogurt, eggs, mashed potatoes, jello, over cooked meat loaf , etc.).
- Maintain adequate fluids throughout the day. When consuming sugar content, please rinse with water or brush after consumption.
- Avoid strenuous lifting/activity that can lead to jaw pain. General guideline, no lifting over 30 lbs.
- No jogging/running activities during the first 4 weeks.
- Brush at least twice daily or after each meal.
- If your jaw is wired closed, please keep all wires clean by brushing.
- Ice pack should be placed over the jaw/face on both sides while resting at home for the first several days.
- In the beginning, consider baths over standing showers to avoid any dizziness that can occur.
- Lips will swell from prolonged stretching during the surgery, thus apply Vaseline or other lip moisturizers as needed.
- Sleep with head elevated with pillows or on a recliner.
If upper jaw (maxilla) was involved:
- For nasal decongestion, use Afrin nasal spray as instructed for the first 3 days followed by saline nasal rinses.
- OTC Sudafed can used in conjunction with the nasal spray for additional decongestion.
- If dried up blood clot remains around your nostrils, it can be cleaned with 1:1 mix of hydrogen peroxide and water.
- Episodic nasal bleeding or discharge of old blood clots after surgery is expected.
Please call with any questions to us:
During business hours:
- Ames (515) 232-6830
- Marshalltown (641) 753-4130
Or after hours please call the Surgeon who performed your procedure:
- Dr. Rudman (515) 450-9552
- Dr. Kazwell (515) 231-2573
- Dr. Cho (515) 520-9924
If your surgeon is not immediately available to answer your call, please call the hospital operator to transfer the call to ON CALL oral surgeon: